PushType is a modern content management system for Ruby on Rails. It takes advantage of powerful new features available in the latest versions of Rails and PostgreSQL, delivering a fantastically flexible toolset for developers working on any kind of website.
It is distributed as a Rails Engine so can integrate with your existing applications or be used in new apps as a standalone CMS.
Why use PushType?
Just what the world needs, right? Another content management system!
Well, yes actually. The Ruby eco-system isn’t as diverse as it could be when it comes to content managment. And the recent
jsonb datatype features provided by PostgreSQL 9.4 opens up a world of possibilities that PushType is first in line to take full advantage of.
Key benefits include:
- You can create complex structures and hierarchies of different types of content, with a few lines of code.
- Take advantage of a wide range of built-in field types and a simple API that allows you to create your own custom fields.
- A modern, easy to use admin UI built on Foundation, that you can actually be proud to present to your clients.
- PushType gets out of your way so you can just use Rails to develop all that bespoke functionality every project demands.
As a developer, PushType is designed for you. PushType puts the developer first. You’re the one pushing code, bashing those keys for hours on end to deliver your client’s requirements. Your job should be made easier by the tools you chose to work with.
Many CMS products are pitched towards website owners and designed accordingly. We unashamedly put the developer at the forefront of every design decision we make.
PushType is still in a relatively early phase of development. Brave pioneering developers are welcome, but until version 1 is released:
- Expect rough edges aplenty (please raise issues)
- Breaking changes may be introduced with little warning
- Documentation may not be complete or up to date